The Certified Self Storage Manager (CSSM©) Certification
The Self Storage Association (SSA) Certified Self Storage Manager Program advances the professionalism of the manager’s role by offering standardized education and promoting continuing education and practical experience through continued tenure in the industry.
For convenience, cost savings, and uniform accessibility to the industry, the CSSM© is attainable through SSA’s Certified Self Storage Manager Program. Renewal of the designation is also simple, standardized, inexpensive, and at the designee’s convenience throughout the renewal year.
– Standardized education through SSA’s Certified Self Storage Manager Program — watch the videos then take the final exam
– Continuing education through the CSSM© Renewal Program
– Single sessions can be purchased for as low as $49 or purchase the full package (for new certifications) for $599 (SSA member pricing)
It’s convenient, cost-effective and will make you a more valuable employee.
Part 1: CSSM© Certification Program Requirements
To receive the CSSM© designation, designees must:
1. Successfully complete the CSSM© Program (15 sessions) through SSA’s Online University with a passing score of 70 or above on each of the quizzes at the end of each session. Once all 15 sessions and quizzes are completed, must successfully pass the Final exam of 100 questions with a score of 70 or above.
2. Agree to uphold the SSA Industry Code of Ethics as it applies to the facility manager’s role.
3. Maintain verifiable employment (or candidacy) in good standing as a self storage manager, supervisor, or owner/investor.
Part 2: Sustaining Certification: CSSM© Renewal Requirements
To retain the CSSM© designation, designees must:
1. Renew every two years – Attain 4 hours of continuing education (CE) credits via the SSA Online University CSSM© Renewal site by December 1 in the renewal-due year, which occurs in two year increments following the year of initial certification. (Example- If the CSSM© is earned in 2017, it is renewed by passing 4 one-hour credit sessions in the online SSA CSSM© Renewal Site between January, 2019 – December 1, 2019. The next renewal period for this sample designee would begin in January 2021, and so on.)
2. Adhere to the SSA Industry Code of Ethics.
3. Continue employment in good standing as a self storage manager, supervisor, or owner /investor.
4. CSSM© designees who do not fulfill the CSSM© renewal requirements as outlined above must recertify by successfully completing Part 1, above.
In the interest of maintaining the integrity of the CSSM© designation, CSSM© designees who do not renew their certification will be purged from the Registry and barred from using the SSA CSSM© designation, which is the property of the Self Storage Association.
The Self Storage Association Certified Self Storage Manager designation certifies that the individual has completed and demonstrated proficiency in specified course work relevant to working in the self storage industry. The Association does not investigate the background of applicants. Employers are encouraged to perform pre-employment background checks on all applicants, including applicants who hold SSA’s or other certification. Certification program requirements and fees subject to change as resources or industry needs necessitate.